1. Active Riparian Rehabilitation in Tulbagh, Western Cape
Field trip organisers: Georgina & Johann Van Biljon
Location: Waterval, Tulbagh, Western Cape
Price: R1050.00 per person for 2 days
Date: 10 – 11 September 2021
We will be offering a TWO-DAY fieldtrip that is aimed at providing insight into the practical aspects of riparian rehabilitation and to undertake some basic skills in the field. We will also be looking deeper in equipping people with regards to restoring the community. More details are provided below.
- Tour of propagation facilities, explaining propagation methods.
- Propagation activity: making some vegetative cuttings & seed room work (processing seed etc.).
- Tour of some of our rehabilitation sites nearby. There we will do some more practical work, like clearing of invasive plants/weeds (hand pulling of seedlings) or monitoring/maintenance of planted plants (this may change according to the sites selected and needs that arise at the time). The practical work is optional but encouraged – learning through doing!
- Afternoon activities include: further visits to research sites and looking at different monitoring methods.
- Then we will return to Intaba’s premises to investigating some community aspects. Tasks will be given to investigate this further.
- There is an evening session on capacity building with Hein Wandrag at Waterval Country Lodge. (See Hein’s bio in the section on details of facilitators below).